Friday, July 23, 2010

Mama Squishy

Rookie Dad lovingly gave me the nickname of Mama Squishy.  I surprisingly did not mind the name but I'm thinking it's time to do slowly say goodbye to it.  Though to be honest, I do think that Vivi enjoys being held by me more than her dad because I am more comfy to lay against than he is.  But it is time to get a new nickname like "Mama Rockin Body".  So I have enlisted two personal trainers to help me get back in shape, bought a cheap old fashion dial scale on Amazon and figured out how to double up my bras so I can actually workout. 

I have worked out a deal with my trainers where I provide them room and board in exchange for the training. 

My trainer for my upper body has a really unique outlook on strengthening the arms.  She has me doing multiple 15lbs lifts throughout the day but in no particular pattern.  She believes in always changing up the number of reps and the length of time that I hold the weight.  It's good because I rarely realize that I am working out and she also is so adorable and encouraging that I enjoy it.  She can be a bit bossy and will start screaming at me if I don't lift the weight quickly enough or if I quit and put it down before the time is up.  She has given me shit and once even puked on me, she was that disgusted by my technique.  She enjoys standing on my belly and laughing at how squishy it is.  She also sits on it while I do leg extensions and crunches, giving me smiles for encouragement.  She plans on increasing the weight every week. 

My other trainer is a bit harsher.  She pretty much barks her orders at me and I have even seen her growl at me.  She has me running about 2 miles a day with a stop at a park in the middle so that she can show me how a 'real' runner runs and to have me work on my throwing arm.  I have been a runner for many years, but never have I run like this before.  She believes that you should never really get into the zone while running and instead believes in lots and lots of distractions. I don't really understand her obsession with bushes, trash and fire hydrants but I have to just believe that there is a reason for us to be stopping at all of them.  She also adds in some plyometrics during the run, like vertical jumping to avoid tripping over her as she zig zags across the sidewalk.  She does work my arms too by testing their resistance and ability to hold onto a moving object while running. And she will start random tug-of-war games to see how well I can engage my core on the fly.   She is very polite and makes me stop and greet every runner or walker that we come across.  She thinks that she is above all laws and does not understand why we have to wait for lights to change but instead tries to dart into the road.  On the way home after the park she has me drag 55lbs of dead weight along the grass, up hill, to work my quads while she gazes longingly at the park. She wants to just increase the time at the park each week, but I am going to request that we increase our millage instead.

All in all, I am feel pretty confident about my workout plans and do believe that if I stick with it, Mama Squishy will be a think of the past.  I have 22lbs to lose and a new nickname to gain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment